EDTA-Dependent Pseudothrombocytopenia in an Elderly Patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Case Report
AbstractEDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia (EDTA-PTCP) is a phenomenon caused by EDTA- dependent anti-platelet antibody. It is necessary for clinicians to consider the possible presence of PTCP in cases of patients having low platelet counts without any hemorrhagic tendency. We here present a EDTA-dependent pseudothromboctyopenia case which might be associated with rheumatoid arthritis and/or the medications such as sulfasalazine, leflunomide and methylprednisolone. As a conclusion pseudothrombocytopenia should be excluded in all thrombocytopenic patients without any hemorrhagic tendency by manual peripheric smear to avoid unnecessary diagnostic tests and wrong treatments.
- Saigo K, Sakota Y, Masuda Y, Rinsho Byori. EDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia: clinical aspects and laboratory tests. 2005 Jul; 53: 646-53.
- Oliveira RA, Takadachi MM, Nonoyama K, Barretto OC. Is automated platelet counting still a problem in thrombocytopenic blood? Sao Paulo Med J. 2003;121:19-23.
- Kunz D. Possibilities and limitations of automated platelet counting procedures in the thrombocytopenic range. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2001; 27: 229-35.
- Hosokawa T, Hinoda Y, Imai K. A case of Sjögren's syndrome associated with EDTA- dependent pseudothrombocytopenia. Nihon Rinsho Meneki Gakkai Kaishi. 1997;20:139-44.
- Abe H, Shimizu T, Cho H, Kubota Y, Umeda T, Kurumi Y, Tani T. Occult breast cancer with EDTA- dependent pseudothrombocytopenia -a case report-. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2010;37:915-8.
- Tu CH, Yang S. Olanzapine-induced EDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia. Psychosomatics. 2002;43:421-3.
- Ahn HL, Jo YI, Choi YS, Lee JY, Lee HW, Kim SR, Sim J, Lee W, Jin CJ. EDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia confirmed by supplementation of kanamycin; a case report. Korean J Intern Med. 2002;17:65-8.
All opinions and reports within the articles that are published in the Gazi Medical Journal are the personal opinions of author(s). Gazi University, Editors and the publisher do not accept any responsibility for these articles. The journal is printed on acid-free paper.