Sigmoid Volvulus Provoked by Severe Diarrhea
AbstractHere, we presented two sigmoid volvulus cases both presented after severe diarrhea episodes. A 69-year-old male with the symptoms of severe diarrhea for 2.5 months presented with left colonic obstruction. Sigmoid volvulus was diagnosed with plain abdominal X-ray, computed tomography and colonoscopy confirmed the diagnosis. After a successful colonoscopic detorsion, the patient underwent elective laparoscopic colon surgery. The second case was a 50-year-old male with mental retardation who complaint of diarrhea for four days. After sudden interruption of diarrhea, the abdomen was begun to swell. Sigmoid volvulus was diagnosed when a coffee bean sign was seen on his plain abdomen X-ray. Detorsion was applied by colonoscopy. The patient was planned for elective surgery but his relatives refused. Sigmoid volvulus is generally accompanied with constipation, whereas in our cases, diarrhea was the essential symptom before sigmoid colon volvulus. So far there has been only one reported case. Our aim was to underline that sigmoid volvulus can be seen after diarrhea.
- Heis HA, Bani-Hani KE, Rabadi DK et al. Sigmoid volvulus in the Middle East. World J Surg 2008; 32: 459-64.
- Carethers JM, McDonnell WM, Owyang C, Scheiman JM. Massive secretory diarrhea and pseudo-obstruction as the initial presentation of Crohn's disease. J Clin Gastroenterol 1996;23:55-9.
- Fiskerstrand T, Arshad N, Haukanes BI et al. Familial diarrhea syndrome caused by an activating GUCY2C mutation. N Engl J Med 2012;366:1586-95.
- Kim YJ, Kim HS, Park SY et al. Intestinal amyloidosis with intractable diarrhea and intestinal pseudo-obstruction. Korean J Gastroenterol 2012;60:172-6.
- Almog Y, Dranitzki-Elhalel M, Lax E et al. Sigmoid volvulus presenting as chronic secretory diarrhea responsive to octreotide. Am J Gastroenterol 1992;87:148-50.
- Mulvihill S, Passaro E Jr, Debas H et al. Severe diarrhea after colonic pseudo-obstruction: treatment with somatostatin. N Engl J Med 1984;310:467-8.
Copyright (c) 2020 Gazi Medical Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
All opinions and reports within the articles that are published in the Gazi Medical Journal are the personal opinions of author(s). Gazi University, Editors and the publisher do not accept any responsibility for these articles. The journal is printed on acid-free paper.