Which “P” Came First? The Parotid or the Pancreas? A Diagnostic Dilemma
AbstractNeoplasm of the salivary glands is rare and accounts for 3% to 6 % of all head and neck tumors, and about 85% occurs in the parotid glands. Metastatic disease to the salivary gland, in particular the parotid gland, is noted to be uncommon among solid tumors and has not been well described before. We report a patient who presented with an initial parotid swelling, only to ascertain, it was a metastatic lesion arising from an adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.
- World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) Pathology and Genetics of Head and Neck Tumours, Lyon: IARC Press; 2005.
- Modlin IM, Shapiro MD, Kidd M.Primary carcinoid tumor of the parotid gland: A case report and review of the literature.Ear Nose Throat J. 2006;85(8):533-9.
- Spiro RH.Salivary neoplasms: overview of a 35-year experience with 2,807 patients.Head Neck Surg. 1986;8(3):177-84.
- Sood S, McGurk M, Vaz F.Management of Salivary Gland Tumours: United Kingdom National Multidisciplinary Guidelines.J Laryngol Otol. 2016;130(S2):S142-S149.
- Adsay NV, Andea A, Basturk O, Kilinc N, Nassar H, Cheng JD.Secondary tumors of the pancreas: an analysis of a surgical and autopsy database and review of the literature.Virchows Arch. 2004;444(6):527-35.
- Schwentner I, Obrist P, Thumfart W, SprinzlGDistant metastasis of parotid gland tumorsActaOtolaryngol. 2006;126(4):340-5
- Jessica L. Geiger, Joaquín J. García, and Katharine A.R. PriceAcinic Cell Carcinoma of the Salivary Gland with Metastatic Spread to the Pancreas Case Rep Oncol. 2014; 7(1): 195–198.
- Wenig BM, Gnepp DR. The spectrum of neuroendocrine carcinomas of the larynx.Semin Diagn Pathol 1989;6:329-50.
-Tie H, Sim S, Bhuta S. Parotid gland tumours: CT, MRI features and histopathologic correlation. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1594/ranzcr2014/R-0303
- Som PM, Curtin HD. Head and neck imaging. 3rd. Vol. 2. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 1996. pp. 877–912.
- Antonio Pastore , Andrea Ciorba , Marco Soliani , Andrea Di Laora , GiorgiaValpiani , Chiara Bianchini , Francesco Stomeo , Roberto Merlo , Stefano Pelucchi JBUON 2017; 22(2): 513-518
Rubin E, Dunham WK, Stanley RJ. Pancreatic metastases in bone sarcomas: CT demonstration. JCAT. 1985;9:886–8.
-Hiotis SP, Klimstra DS, Conlon KC, Brennan MF. Results after pancreatic resection for metastatic lesions. Ann SurgOncol. 2002;9:675–679.
- H Shi, X Zhao, F Miao. Metastases to the Pancreas: Computed Tomography Imaging Spectrum and Clinical Features. Medicine (Baltimore) June 2015; 94(23): e913.
- Y Lv, B Xin, J Li, et al. Pancreatic intraglandular metastasis of the ductal adenocarcinoma: cases of 2 and literature review. Int J ClinExp Med 2016;9(10):20324-30.
- Seo JB, Im JG, Goo JM et-al. Atypical pulmonary metastases: spectrum of radiologic findings. Radiographics. 2001;21 (2): 403-17.
All opinions and reports within the articles that are published in the Gazi Medical Journal are the personal opinions of author(s). Gazi University, Editors and the publisher do not accept any responsibility for these articles. The journal is printed on acid-free paper.