Gastric Polyps: A Retrospective Analysis of Endoscopic Biopsies: A Single Center Study in Central Anatolia
AbstractObjective: Gastric polyps accounts for %6 of gastrointestinal endoscopy. Geographical differences occur in the prevalence of them. We aimed to determine the spectrum of gastric polyps . Matherial and method: Data including demographics, medical history and histological characteristics of polyps and Helicobacter pylori were obtained retrospectively. Results: Of the 24568 endoscopies performed, 184 patients were identified as having gastric polyps. The most frequently encountered were hyperplastic polyps (62%), followed by fundic gland polyps (19,3%) and adenomatous polyps (3, 8%). The corpus (36,4 % ) was the most common site and the antrum (25%) was the second. Female patients were more affected than male patients (64,7%). Majority of the polyps (88%) were smaller than 1 cm in diameter. The mean age was 62,10+13,4 (range:30-90) years. Fundic gland polyps were observed at younger age (mean age: 56,58) compared to other gastric polyps. Intestinal metaplasia was more frequently encountered in hyperplastic polyps than in fundic gland polyps. Conclusion: In this study, hyperplastic polyps are the most common in our population however there was no association between the hyperplastic polyps and H. pylori infection. H. pylori infection ratio was similar in both hyperplastic polyps and fundic gland polyps however all of the patient have chronic gastritis. This findings suggest chronic gastritis also play role in hyperplastic polyps development. The study also showed that H. Pylori infection is still common in our country and further studies need to find efficacy of H.pylori treatment.
-Park do Y, Lauwers GY, Gastric polyps: Classification and management. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008;132:633-40.
- Yakirevich E, Resnick MB. Pathology of gastric cancer and its precursor lesions. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2013; 42: 261-84.
- Carmack SW, Genta RM, Schuler CM, Saboorian MH. The current spectrum of gastric polyps: a 1-year national study of over 120,000 patients. Am J Gastroenterol 2009; 104(6):1524-32.
-Archimandritis A, Spiliadis C, Tzivras M, et al. Gastric epithelial polyps: a retrospective endoscopic study of 12974 symptomatic patients. Ital J Gastroenterol 1996; 28(7):387-90.
- Morais DJ, Yamanaka A, Zeitune JM, Andreollo NA. Gastric polyps: a retrospective analysis of 26,000 digestive endoscopies. Arq Gastroenterol 2007; 44:14-7.
-Vatansever S,Akpınar Z,Alper E, İpek S, Yazıcıoğlu N, Ekinci N et al. Gastricpolyps and polypoid lesions: Retrospective analysis of 36650 endoscopic procedures in 29940 patients. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2015 Mar;26(2):117-22.
-Abraham SC, Singh VK, Yardley JH, Wu TT. Hyperplastic polyps of the stomach: association with histological patterns of gastritis and gastric atrophy. Am J Surg Pathol 2001;25:500
-Zheng E, Ni S, Yu Y, Wang Y, Weng X, Zheng L. Impact of gender and age on the occurrence of gastric polyps: data analysis of 69575 southeastern Chinese patients. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2015 Nov;26(6):474-9.
-Buyukasik K, Sevinc MM, Gunduz UR, Ari A, Gurbulak B, Toros AB et al. Upper gastrointestinal tract polyps: what do we know about them? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015;16(7):2999-3001
-Karaman A, Deniz K, Karaman H., Gürsoy S,Baskol M, Güven K et al. Prevalence and histopathological condition of gastric polyps in Central Anatolia, Endoscopy 2011;19(2):56-8.
-Atalay R, Solakoğlu T, Ozer Sarı S, Köseoğlu H, Akın FE, Demirezer Bolat A et al. Evaluation of gastric polyps detected by endoscopy: a single-center study of a four-year experience in Turkey. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2014 ; 25(4):370-
-Stolte , Sticht T, Eidt S, Ebert D, Finkenzeller G. Frequency, location, and age and sex distribution of various types of gastric polyp. Endoscopy 1994; 26: 659-65.
- Ohkusa T, Miwa H, Kumagai J, Tanizawa T, Asaoka D, Terai T et al. Endoscopic, histological and serologic findings of gastric hyperplastic polyps after eradication of Helicobacter pylori: Comparison between responder and non-responder cases. Digestion 2003;68:57-62
-Ljubicic N, Banic M, Kujundzic M, Antic Z, Vrkljan M, Kovacevic I et al. The effect of eradicating Helicobacter pylori infection on the course of adenomatous and hyperplastic gastric polyps. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1999, 11: 727-730.
- Ohkusa T, Takashimizu I, Fujiki K, Suzuki S, Shimoi K, Horiuchi T et al. Disappearance of hyperplastic polyps in the stomach after eradication of Helicobacter pylori. A randomised, clinical trial. Ann Intern Med 1998;129:712-5.
- Sonnenberg A, Genta RM. Prevalence of benign gastric polyps in a large pathology database. Dig Liver Dis. 2015 Feb;47(2):164-9.
- Cao H, Wang B, Zhang Z, Zhang H, Qu R. Distribution trends of gastric polyps: an endoscopy database analysis of 24 121 northern Chinese patients. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012; 27: 1175-80.
- Ozden A, Bozdayı G, Ozkan M, Köse KS, Changes in the seroepidemiological pattern of Helicobacter pylori infection over the last 10 years Turk j Gastroenterol 2004;15: 156-8.
- Park SY, Ryu JK, Park JH, Yoon H, Kim JY, Yoon YB et al Prevalence of gastric and duodenal polyps and risk factors for duodenal neoplasm in koreanpatients with familial adenomatous polyposis. Gut Liver. 2011 Mar;5(1):46-51.
- Shaib YH, Rugge M, Graham DY, Genta RM. Management of gastric polyps: an endoscopy-based approach. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013 Nov;11(11):1374-84.
-Orlowska J, Kupryjanczyk J. Malignant transformation of gastric hyperplastic polyps. Am J Clin Pathol. 2002 Jan;117(1):165-6.
-Taniuchi K, Okada M, Sakaeda H. Focal Intramucosal Adenocarcinoma Occurring in Gastric Hyperplastic Polyps: Two Case Reports. Case Rep Gastrointest Med. 2015;2015:201042
-Bertoni G, Sassatelli R, Nigrisoli E, Pennazio M, Tansini P,Arrigoni A et al. Dysplastic changes in gastric fundic gland polyps of patients with familial adenomatous polyposis. Ital J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1999; 31(3):192-7.
-Declich P, Ambrosiani L, Bellone S,Tavani E, Ferrara A, Galati F et al Fundic gland polyps: a not so innocuous entity worth a careful evaluation. Am J Gastroenterol 1998; 93: 2641.
-Wu TT, Kornacki S, Rashid A, Yardlet JH, Hamilton SR. Dysplasia and dysregulation of proliferation in foveolar and surface epithelia of fundic gland polyps from patients with familial adenomatous polyposis. Am J Surg Pathol 1998; 22: 293-8.
- Evans JA, Chandrasekhara V, Chathadi KV, Decker GA, Early DS, Fisher DA et al. ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, The role of endoscopy in the management of premalignant and malignant conditions of the stomach. Gastrointest Endosc. 2015;82(1):1-8.
- Oberhuber G, Stolte M. Gastric polyps: an update of their pathology and biological significance. Virchows Arch. 2000; 437:581-90.
Fan NN, Yang J, Sun G, Lu ZS, Ling Hu EQ, Wang XD et al. Changes in the spectrum of gastric polyps in the Chinese population. World J Gastroenterol 2015; 21: 9758-9764
- Kokkola A, Sjoblom S, Haapiainen R, Sipponen P, Puolakkainen P, Jarvinen H. The risk of gastric carcinoma and carcinoid tumours in patients with pernicious anaemia: A prospective follow-up study. Scand J Gastroenterol 1998;33:88-92.
- Laine L, Ahnen D, McClain C, Solcia E, Walsh JH, Potential gastrointestinal effects of long-term acid suppression with proton pump inhibitors. Aliment PharmacolTher 2000;14:651-68.
Copyright (c) 2019 Gazi Medical Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
All opinions and reports within the articles that are published in the Gazi Medical Journal are the personal opinions of author(s). Gazi University, Editors and the publisher do not accept any responsibility for these articles. The journal is printed on acid-free paper.